Browse Exhibits (7 total)
Our collection of over 1300 Victorian pamphlets illustrates how the medium was used by campaigners and agitators of the nineteenth century to promote and discuss radical new ideas and disseminate information to the masses. The collection covers key contentious issues of the day, ranging from parliamentary reform to secularism, gender equality to freedom of the press and even an atheist Victorian sci-fi tale! Many of the subject matters are still hotly debated today, but the message has moved from print to online spaces, in the form of blogs and social media.
An introduction to the architecture of Conway Hall, it's functions and the people who have been part of it.
A brief history of the various homes of Conway Hall Ethical Society. The Society began as a nonconformist congregation in 1787 moving into Parliament Court Chapel, Bishopsgate in 1793. In 1824 they moved to South Place Chapel where they resided for 102 years. The Society moved into our current headquarters in 1929.
A small biography of George Christopher Trout Bartley, MP, who leased 49 Theobalds Road in 1887.
There are several leases included in the Architecture and Place collection. They are unique items from our archive collection and offer not only their content, the words, seals and signatures, but also their physical makeup as an opportunity for research and learning.
Conway Hall was built in 1929 and its address is given as 25 Red Lion Square, Holborn. The property it now stands on however use to encompass not just 25 Red Lion Square but also 49 and 51 Theobald's Road as well as 14 - 20 Lamb's Conduit Passage.
As part of our archives we hold several leases and conveyances of these properties going back to the 17th century. They likely came into the possession of the Conway Hall Ethical Society, then called the South Place Ethical Society, on our purchase of these properties.
The bulk of these legal documents relate to what came to be called the Strickland Estate and the connection between Lambs Conduit Passage and this family spans a number of generations.
A biography of Frederick Herbert Mansford F.R.I.B.A. (1871–1946), member of South Place Ethical Society and architect of Conway Hall.